Note: We understand that there are sometimes extenuating circumstances that can force changes to an ongoing challenge. The advice below is strongly recommended to preserve a uniform experience for all readers enrolled in a challenge, to eliminate staff confusion and corrective work, and to prevent data disruption.
If you have specific questions about how to minimize any unintended consequences from an unforeseen change in your challenge, please write in to the Helpdesk or consult your Client Success Manager before making any changes to your challenge. If you know certain elements of your challenge will be in flux in advance, consult with our Helpdesk team or your CSM during your challenge setup before publishing the challenge to find the best solution for you.
Once a challenge is published and active on your site, we strongly recommend against making any substantive changes to it. Changing the benchmarks of an ongoing challenge can not only create confusion among your patrons, but it can also disrupt the system for awarding badges and rewards, as any changes made to an ongoing challenge will not be applied retroactively.
There are a few changes that can be made without grave consequences to your readers or data. Those include:
- Pushing back the end date of your challenge and any date-restricted badges, as long as the start date remains the same and any date restrictions on logging or review badges do not overlap
- Pushing back the drawing date for your ticket drawings
- Adding information or URLs to the text within your challenge description, your existing activity badges, your existing activities, or your existing ticket prizes
- Adding a new image as your challenge header image or your ticket prize drawing options' images.
There are a number of changes that will create widespread issues if made once your challenge has been shared with your patrons. Thus, we strongly recommend against:
- Changing the completion requirements of your challenge
- Adding or removing badges from your challenge
- Editing logging or review badges' goals
- Editing the logging badge's log type
- Adding new activities to an activity badge
- Changing an activity badge's completion requirements
- Changing the start date of your challenge or any date-restricted logging or review badge
- Adding or removing rewards or certificates from badges
- Adding or removing ticket prizes
- Changing the number of tickets awarded per badge
- Changing a challenge's age or grade range
- Disabling or enabling alternative challenges
- Changing the required registration information
- Making an ongoing public challenge staff-only