You can easily import lists of students, teachers, and sections via CSV files when logged in with a media specialist account. To do so, just follow the steps below!
1. Create your Beanstack compatible CSV file.
- Filename: In order to import correctly, all CSV filenames must be lowercase and start with the name of the group type you are importing: students, teachers, or sections (e.g., sections.csv, teachers_schoolyear.csv, students_classroom_year.csv, etc.). Filenames cannot include spaces or special characters.
- Fields: Each type of CSV file has certain required fields and optional fields, as laid out below. These are the only fields available to be collected via CSV import, and files with extra fields beyond those below cannot be handled by our system. Certain fields cannot include spaces and are noted below.
Students and Teachers
Here is a sample file you can download and fill in for importing student rosters: Students CSV
And here is a sample file available to download and edit for teacher lists: Teachers CSV
There are six required fields for student CSV files:
- Username: Note that the column header must be username. Each unique username will result in a new user and profile being created for the student or teacher. If you are updating an existing student or teacher, make sure to use their existing username. Username fields cannot include spaces.
- First name: Note that the column header must be first_name
- Last name: Note that the column header must be last_name
- Password: Note that the column header must be password. Password fields cannot include spaces.
- Grade level: Note that the column header must be grade_level. For student's grade level, make sure you use the following required grade level formats. If you attempt to use other formatting for grade levels, you will receive an error and the upload will fail.
- 1st Grade
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd Grade
- 4th Grade
- 5th Grade
- 6th Grade
- 7th Grade
- 8th Grade
- 9th Grade
- 10th Grade
- 11th Grade
- 12th Grade
- Birthdate: Note that the column header must be birthdate. Birthdate fields should be formatted as YYYY-MM-DD and cannot include spaces. For example, January 1, 2021, should be formatted as 2021-01-01 and not as 1/1/21 or any other date format variation.
There are four required fields for teacher CSV files:
- First name
- Last name
There are also additional optional fields if you would like to include additional information:
- Email address: Note that the column header must be email. Email address fields cannot include spaces.
- Ethnicity: Note that the column header must be ethnicity. In order for ethnicity field options to be populated, make sure you discuss adding ethnicity options to your microsite with your Client Success Manager.
- Gender: Note that the column header must be gender. In order for gender field options to be populated, also ensure you have discussed adding gender options to your microsite with your Client Success Manager. Gender fields must use the following formats:
- Delete: Note that the column header must be delete. If this field says "TRUE," then the student or teacher will be deleted; otherwise, leave this field blank. If marked true, all reading data associated with that student or teacher will also be irreversibly deleted. These fields cannot include spaces.
Here is a sample file you can download and edit for sections rostering: Sections CSV
There is one required field for sections CSV files:
- Section name: Note that the column header must be section_name. Each section must have a unique name.
And there's one optional field:
- Delete: Note that the column header must be delete. If this field is filled with "TRUE," then the section will be deleted; otherwise, leave it blank. If true, all associated reading data will be irreversibly deleted along with the section. These fields cannot include spaces.
2. Once you have created your CSV file, it's time to upload it. From your admin home screen, navigate to People > Roster CSV Imports.
3. Click the desired option: Teachers Import, Sections Import, or Students Import.
4. Once on the correct page, click Choose a File and then Upload CSV in the upper righthand side of the page.
5. The system will analyze your file, which could take a few minutes, and then show you the results when completed. A green check will appear next to the import name if the file is accepted. Underneath, it will list which actions to be completed.
- Records To Add: New students, teachers, or sections will be added.
- Records To Update: Existing students, teachers, or sections will be edited.
- Records to Delete: Previouslyadded students, teachers, or sections will be deleted.
A red X will appear next to the import name if there were errors in the file, followed by a list of which errors occurred where.
- Missing Data: Certain rows contain empty required fields. Review the rows with issues and make sure you include data for the specified columns.
- Invalid Data: Some of your fields include special characters or spaces. Check the specified rows and ensure all characters are compatible.
- Duplicate Data: The specified rows contain identical information when they must be unique. Review and edit the fields so that they are not the same.
- Invalid Deletions: Some rows in your CSV are marked for deletion, but do not match any existing username or section name. Check the specified rows and either remove "TRUE" or edit the username or section name.
6. If you receive errors, return to the original file document and correct the errors. Upload your new document. Once you do not have any errors, click the Import button (shown in step 5) to upload those records.
7. On the pop-up window, verify that you would like to run the import by reading and checking the notices in the three checkboxes and then click the Import button.
8. Once the import is complete, you will see a green check mark next to the import type on the Roster CSV Imports page.
9. Repeat steps 3-7 for the remaining roster uploads.
10. To review your imports, go to the Manage Roster section (by navigating to People > Manage Roster) to view all of your imported information. You can manually add, edit, and update individual sections, students, and teachers here, as well as manage enrollments from the sections tab.
11. Once all files have been analyzed and accepted, you can then sort students and teachers and into their appropriate class sections. For detailed steps on sorting students and teachers into class sections, check out this article.