Achievements are global congratulatory badges created by the central Beanstack team to motivate readers to use Beanstack and increase participation in our partners’ reading challenges. They are awarded to readers for achieving certain benchmarks (like a 7-day streak) or logging on a particular day (like International Literacy Day). They are also an opportunity to further embrace our values of love, inclusion, and awesomeness. For more about the reader experience earning achievements, you can check out this article. Staff can view the achievements that individual readers earn on their reader profiles by following these steps.
We add achievements to Beanstack on a rolling basis, typically yearly, and generally share the upcoming list of achievements in our client update emails at least two weeks before they go live on the Beanstack web and mobile apps. Achievements are divided into categories, which site administrators can turn on or off for their users at any time to fine tune the achievement experience for their communities.
Achievement categories include:
- Reading and action-based achievements: These are based on best practices for motivating readers, and are awarded when readers reach certain milestones related to three subcategories:
- Logging: These achievements are awarded for specific logging actions related to reading, challenges, activities, and other specific logging milestones, like “First Challenge Completed” and “60 Minute Session.”
- Streaks: These are awarded for consecutive days of reading and reaching specific streak goals, like “First Streak” and “7-Day Streak.”
- Friends and Leaderboards: These achievements are awarded for adding friends and reaching leaderboard spots, like “Added First Friend.”
- Special day achievements: These recognize particular days that celebrate reading, literacy, and the breadth and diversity of Beanstack’s partners and their communities. These achievements are awarded for logging reading on designated dates in three subcategories:
- Literacy-Themed Special Days, Weeks and Months (International): These achievements recognize literary figures, author birthdays, books, genres, and other occasions related to reading, and are designed to occur at a rate of approximately one per week to encourage frequent logging. They are an opportunity to learn about something new, like “Dictionary Day,” “Winnie the Pooh Day,” and “High Five A Librarian Day.”
- Other Special Days, Weeks and Months (International): These are based on internationally recognized holidays, observations, and heritage celebrations that may spark new reading inspiration for users of all ages, like “International Day of Friendship” and “International Women’s Day.”
- Other Special Days, Weeks and Months (United States): These achievements celebrate nationally recognized holidays, observations, and heritage celebrations in the U.S. to encourage reading exploration and discovery for all ages, like “Pride Month 2021,” “Black History Month,” and “Benny’s Birthday.”
The current list of Beanstack achievements is available here.
All categories are enabled on all sites by default. Clients may turn any combination of achievement categories on or off for their users by navigating to Setup > Achievement Settings and checking on or off the categories.